Ok, first thing’s first. If you’re that kind of person who likes to have a little background music playing at all times (I do!!), you should press play on the YouTube video below. If you’re like me, Smooth Jazz will get you in the mood for Autumn baking like nothing else can. 😉
Total Time: 3 hrs 15 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 3 hrs
6 apples (preferably Gala; they’re not as tart as other apples)
7 c water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2/3 c sugar OR 3 tbsp Truvia (you can always add more later)
2 cinnamon sticks OR 4 tbsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp allspice (easily found in any spice section of the supermarket)
** NOTE: I didn’t think this made enough servings, so I added 100% pure organic apple juice (from target or Walmart) to the batch after it finished cooking. Tasted great! It’s up to you whether you’d like to do this, obviously.**
1. Wash apples, then cut them into quarters.
2. Grab a large pot and add 7 cups of water, along with vanilla, sugar, allspice and cinnamon sticks. Mix well. Add apples.
3. Place pot on stove and bring to a boil, uncovered. Allow to boil for roughly 30 minutes, keeping a close eye on the water level. Then, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Once relatively cool, use a fork to mash up the apples a little bit so extra flavor is released.
5. Pour the cider through a tight-knit mesh strainer to catch all the pulp. You may have to do this a few times if you’re not a fan of pulpy apple cider.
6. This is where I added the 100% pure organic apple juice (about 2-3 cups). I also added extra allspice, vanilla and ground cinnamon to taste. No need to add any extra sugar, unless you like your cider really sweet.
Hard Apple Cider:
Add Spiced Rum to taste (I like Captain Morgan Black Spiced, or for a few bucks cheaper, you can get Sailor Jerry)
I am really enjoying the cooler weather here in Colorado Springs (with the exception of the next few days). It cools way down at night, which is the perfect time to enjoy a hot apple cider on the patio, wrapped up in your favorite blanket!